HomePortalGallerySearchLog inRegister

Share | 

make your own gel polish

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jpollock

Gemini Buffalo

PostSubject: make your own gel polish   Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:14 am

This is probably old news to everyone else in nail tech world but I was playing mad scientist at work today and found out with a 40-60 polish to gel ratio you can mix either zoya or china glaze polishes with gel and make your own gel polishes. Fun stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Air Art Girl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: make your own gel polish   Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:52 am

There was a controversy over that practice with one of the chemists from a major mfgr. The problem with adding polish to the gel is that they are different types of compounds and the polish will not "cure" list a gel will.

Also the polish will block the gel from curing in the deeper layers.

There are some gels out there with high photo initiators that you can add pigments to that will cure fine if done in thin enough layers.

Just be careful being a gel chemist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toomuchfun.net
C-C My Nails
Admin
Admin

Aries Rooster

PostSubject: Re: make your own gel polish   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:20 pm

I've tried this with OPI and it really changes the color of the polish (OPI Gel & OPI Polish) and it did have to be cured after very thin layers. But it was fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jlburkhardt

Leo Goat

PostSubject: Re: make your own gel polish   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Air Art Girl wrote:
There was a controversy over that practice with one of the chemists from a major mfgr. The problem with adding polish to the gel is that they are different types of compounds and the polish will not "cure" list a gel will.

Also the polish will block the gel from curing in the deeper layers.

There are some gels out there with high photo initiators that you can add pigments to that will cure fine if done in thin enough layers.

Just be careful being a gel chemist.

Yes, you do want to be careful. If gels don't cure completely that can lead to overexposure and the potential loss of a gel client!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jpollock

Gemini Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: make your own gel polish   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:37 pm

i'm pretty sure they did cure all the way. Plus I got the info on how do do it from zoya's site. I will be careful though. I don't want anyone to have a reaction. I have one everytime monomer gets on my brush handle and i don't realize it. it sucks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
couldntbehappier

Capricorn Rat

PostSubject: Re: make your own gel polish   Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:54 pm

I know that several people have used our gel (Tuff Enuff Nails) with nail polish and have been successful.

Donna Schur has an interesting method if you are interested. Don't quote me, and don't try it without her instructions, but I believe she applies a thin layer of the gel, applies the polish and cures it. Then another layer of gel. Something like that...but it avoids the mixing of the polish first.

Ours does have the high photo initiators that Air Art Girl describes, and you can add pigments, our color drops and polish to it

Glad your experiment worked well and it sounds like you are very familiar with overexposure! OUCH!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tuffenuffnails.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: make your own gel polish   

Back to top Go down

make your own gel polish
Page 1 of 1